Thursday, September 11, 2014

Yacking it up with James Stokes.

I had an idea a while ago to do interviews with interesting people that I know. I will admit I was a little intimidated with the process and almost discounted it. But like a hangnail the idea kept plaguing me until I started think about it all of the time.  And so I present to you my first interview ever, and I could not feel more privileged by who I chose to be my first (victim) candidate.


James Stokes sporting his killer beard.
James Stokes

I was at church one sunday, after I had moved into a new congregation, and was waiting to be edified in a mens class. The instructor of the class wobbled into the room with a claw cane and the biggest smile I have ever seen. "Well" he slowly said in a way that reminded me of John Wayne's strong drawl, "Todays not a good day"  He stood figeting and  struggling to stand. "I was wondering if you will forgive me if I deliver todays lesson sitting down." After we all approved he closed his eyes and let out a sigh of relief and sat down and gave his lesson, which lasted an hour. His pacing was slow but metered. He never mentioned why his day was bad, he just moved on. This is my first impression of James Stokes, and it's one I have thought about a lot ever since. I soon found out that he suffered from cerebral palsy. I later learned he also suffered from osteoporosis, celiac disease, hydrocephalus, and to top it off, anemia. He lost count of how many surgeries he had to endure, but recounts 50 before 2nd grade. What did all that translate into in my puny brain? PAIN. One of the many symptoms I witnessed were what he called "headaches"...or to me, crippling migraines. These were his bad days. I asked about his good days and he reported that the headaches were less bad. "Do you mean you don't know what it would be like to have no migraines?" I once asked. His answer was "Pretty much" I remember looking at this guy as a spiritual giant. He clung to God and the teaching of the church like a man drowning because he knew that without God he would perish under the weight of his infirmity. He was going to school at the time, taught the lessons at church and did service for all those who needed him, often walking when walking was difficult. He amazes me in everyway as this was the tip of the iceberg. I'm not the only one who feels this way. A fellow church goer had this to say about him:

No matter how bad a day or how much pain Brother Stokes was in He never ever complained or had anything bad to say about anything or anyone.- Cindy Funk.


James and his wife Amy
Finding it hard to acquire employment (which he does not give up on) he has recently turned to writing to try to support himself and his wife who also suffers health issues. I started to follow his blog and I share each post on facebook. But this is what I wanted to interview him about. Because I just don't know where this man's strength comes from to do it all, and I just gots to know...



Me: How long have you been writing James?

 James: I first started writing in elementary school. They were just simple projects. My friends and I would get together and we'd have our own universe and our own planets. Mine was the planet Stock. So many of my earliest writing projects was about the adventures my friends and I had on planet Stock. I would also "borrow" characters from my favorite books/movies/TV shows and incorporate them into my stories. Some of the plots were quite convoluted.

Me: How many writing projects do you have in the works now?

James: I am currently working on a couple of things. One is a poem in the voice of the Savior discussing what He did for us in the Garden and on the Cross. I have a bunch of other poems I had hoped to publish with this one, but now I'm not so sure. Some of my author friends have told me that poetry isn't the most money-making genre. So I might be rethinking that. I am also working on finishing a book I started several years ago called "The Lord Looks on the Heart." It's about a teenager who moves from Hawaii to Utah and how he grows from teenager to young adulthood. I had initially intended for the book to end with my characters getting married. But I'm working with Brandon Sanderson, a brilliant author, towards getting the book ready to be published. He has given me a broader vision. It is his suggestion that I turn the book into a series. Book 1 will encompass the teenage years. Book 2 will chronicle their mission years. Book 3 will discuss their marriages and early married lives, and future volumes will discuss their posterity. I find it hard sometimes to wrap my head around that vision, but I'm grateful that Brandon saw more than one book in this project of mine.

Me: That sounds really cool, I know that you also have that blog you just started, what can we look forward to with that?


 James: Well, when I was looking for a title, I suffered a bit of writer's block for a while. Then I remembered something. In High School, I took Journalism for two years. I envisioned having my own column entitled "Stokes Sounds Off" but it never came to fruition. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense as a title for my blog. So that's how I came up with the title. As the blog title implies, I will be regularly "sounding off" about things that are important to me. Anyone who knows anything about me recognizes me first as a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most of my blog posts that haven't been about major life events but have been about events that are going on in Church history. I anticipate that the blog will continue with much the same format in the future. Also, if I find an issue I feel strongly about, I will address it on the blog. I am also in the process of trying to get my Amazon Affiliate Account connected to my blog. What that means is, I would advertise products of interest from Amazon on my blog, and if anybody were to buy an Amazon product through the advertisement on my blog, I will get a certain percentage. Brandon suggested this as one possible way for me to make money from my blog while my wife and I yet remain unemployed.

 Me: You know I follow you now, but I look forward to what’s coming...just sayin'. Where do you find your creative inspiration?

 James: My creative inspiration can come from many different arenas. The inspiration for "The Lord Looks on the Heart" came from my membership on a forum where others were posting their writing projects. I started this one just for fun and soon found my fellow forum buddies begging for more. Then the website forum was shut down and I lost my support system, I didn't know what to do. Then Amy came along. She has been my inspiration and encouragement to write. 
       As far as the poem in the Savior's voice, I was just sitting in a Sacrament Meeting one day, and the Sacrament Hymn was "Reverently and Meekly Now", which, interestingly enough, is the only hymn in our hymnbook written in the Savior's voice. So that got me thinking: How might the Savior describe His experiences in the Garden and on the Cross. Thus was born "Thy Will Be Done." And, as ever, my wife has been my constant support and encourager to work on it and get it done. Since I started working with Brandon, he has encouraged me to continue to keep up with my writing. Under his guidance, I recently rewrote a long-standing scene in the first chapter of my book. And it fit so much better than the original did! People are my inspiration!

Me: I love it, but I need to ask how do you find the energy to write with the headaches and stuff? 


James with his family
James: You might extend that to ask how I find the energy to do anything. Let me tell you a little story. When I was first born, one of my earliest doctors told my parents: "Take him home, and simply love him. He will never amount to anything but a limp noodle on a sofa!" My parents, thankfully, chose to ignore that advice. They did everything they could to help me to have as normal a life as possible. For years they pushed me to do and to accomplish many things. I defied the odds again and again. When I understood for myself what the doctor had predicted, I determined to do everything in my power to prove him wrong. So I began pushing myself to do and to accomplish things. I have done things that many people with my condition can only dream about: I was baptized at age 8. I received my patriarchal blessing at age 9. I advanced through the Aaronic Priesthood until I received the Melchizedek Priesthood and was ordained an Elder. I earned my Eagle Scout Award with a project I organized myself. I made it all the way through High School, graduating with Gold Cord Honors, Orchestra and French Letters, Honorable Recognition from the National Honors Society. The President's Award for Academic Excellence. I was unable to serve a full-time mission due to my health. They excused me from serving. But I felt I still wanted to do something. So I had two great part-time opportunities. I served six years as a Veil Worker in the Mount Timpanogos Temple. I also served two years as a Welfare Services Missionary working with the Church's Humanitarian Program (local Humanitarian efforts). 
      Because of my disabilities, I was concerned I might never find love. But in May 2010, I got a letter from a young lady I worked with in the temple whom I had known for about a year. She said she liked what she saw and wanted to get to know me better. I took instant advantage of that opportunity. We went on 14 dates in the next 3 weeks, agreeing after the first week that the question of marriage for us would be when and how rather than if. Though we faced many obstacles to our marriage, we became engaged on July 4, and the pieces fell into place for us to be married on December 18. We adopted Moroni 7:33 as the theme scripture for our courtship and marriage. It reads, "And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me." That's quite a powerful promise. It gave us the strength to move forward. I draw strength from it in our current situation. Where was I going with all this? Oh, yes. You asked how I find the energy to write with the pain I experience. Very early in life, I learned to use distraction as a coping mechanism. Anything I could focus on--school, Church, General Conference, random facts about Church History, help keep my mind off the pain. So by keeping my mind occupied during the day, I have the ability to be clear-headed enough to write.

Me: Or...do anything...

 James: Indeed.

Me: You have always been such an inspiration to me and I was so happy to see that you got married. When I heard about your ambition for writing I felt this was my chance to give back to you what you have given to me and the many others we hold in mutual acquaintance. There was no question there, just wanted you to know

 James: I see. Thanks for telling me.

You can follow this amazing mans blog at  www.stokessoundsoff.blogspot.com
I will be keeping watch on his up coming poems and novels and you can be sure to find the notices here!


No comments: